Support Clean Energy
By investing fossil fuel free
As one of the first family of fossil fuel free, environmentally responsible, and diversified mutual funds in the U.S., Green Century° explicitly and implicitly supports renewable energy.
Green Century does not invest in companies that explore for, extract, process, refine, and transmit coal, oil, and gas, or any companies that burn fossil fuels to make electricity, or any companies with carbon reserves.
Instead of investing in the most environmentally-reckless companies in the world, Green Century invests renewable energy companies and other environmentally-responsible corporations.
1. Invests with environmental values: Green Century is proud to be one of the first family of fossil fuel free, environmentally responsible, and diversified mutual funds in the U.S.
Our investment strategy incorporates:
- Values-based exclusionary screens to avoid dangerous and harmful industries including fossil fuels, civilian and military weapons, tobacco, producers of GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms), and nuclear energy;
- Controversy exclusions to identify and avoid corporations that are trending toward damaging reputational risks or are not following international norms and principles; and
- Environmental, social, and governance (ESG). The Green Century Funds invests in companies that meet our high ESG criteria.
- A sustainable investment strategy which incorporates environmental, social and governance criteria may result in lower or higher returns than an investment strategy that does not include such criteria.
2. Leads an effective shareholder advocacy program: Our team of shareholder advocates goes far beyond basic proxy voting to engaging nearly 100 companies a year to improve their environmental practices and policies to deliver impact that inspires your clients.
3. Supports environmental and public health nonprofit organizations: 100% of the profits Green Century earns managing its Funds can be used to support the work of its environmental and public health nonprofit owners, including the 100% Clean Energy and Wildlife Over Waste campaigns. Green Century is the only mutual fund company in the U.S. wholly owned by environmental and public health nonprofit organizations.
The Green Century Funds
The Green Century Balanced Fund is an actively managed Fund that invests in solution-oriented companies, including renewable energy, energy efficiency, and clean water companies, and bonds, more than 60% of which are green or sustainable.1
One such company held in the Balanced Fund is First Solar,* a leading global provider of comprehensive photovoltaics (PV) solar energy solutions, with more than 17 GW installed in more than 35 countries, which is enough electricity to power more than 8 million average homes and displace nearly 12 million metric tons of CO2, the equivalent of three coal-fired power plants. It designs, manufactures, and sells photovoltaic (PV) solar modules and PV power plants that primarily use its solar modules. It was ranked 10th in Fortune’s 2016 “Change the World” list of companies taking on society’s biggest problems.
The Green Century Equity Fund is a passively managed Fund that invests in U.S.-based companies that meet our high ESG criteria and invests in the MSCI KLD Social ex Fossil Fuels Index.
Ormat Technologies, Inc. (Ormat),* a holding in the Equity Fund, owns, operates, designs, manufactures and sells geothermal and recovered energy generation (“REG”) power plants around the world. Ormat recently launched its first geothermal and solar hybrid project in Churchill County, Nevada. In 2020, Barron’s recognized Ormat as the 23rd most sustainable corporation in the U.S.
The Green Century MSCI International Index Fund is a passively managed fund that invests in companies that meet our high ESG criteria in developed markets outside of the U.S. It is the first environmentally responsible, diversified, fossil fuel free international index fund available to U.S. investors.
One of the holdings in the Green Century MSCI International Index Fund is Vestas Wind Systems,* the only global energy company dedicated exclusively to wind energy. With installations in 80 countries, Vestas turbines account for 18% of global wind energy production. Since 2013, every wind turbine that Vestas has manufactured has been built using 100% renewable energy.
Ready to learn more?
°Green Century Capital Management, Inc. (Green Century) is the investment advisor to the Green Century Funds (the Funds).
1As of March 31, 2023, green and sustainable bonds comprised 67.53% of total bonds held in the Green Century Balanced Fund.
*As of March 31, 2023 First Solar, Inc., Ormat Technologies, Inc. and Vestas Wind Systems A/S comprised 0.81%, 0.00% and 0.00%; 0.78%, 0.02% and 0.00% and 0.00%, 0.00% and 0.68% of the Green Century Balanced Fund, the Green Century Equity Fund and the Green Century International Index Fund, respectively. References to specific securities, which will change due to ongoing management of the Funds, should not be construed as a recommendation by the Funds, their administrator, or their distributor.
You should carefully consider the Funds' investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses before investing. To obtain a Prospectus that contains this and other information about the Funds, please click here for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-934-7336. Please read the Prospectus carefully before investing.
Stocks will fluctuate in response to factors that may affect a single company, industry, sector, country, region or the market as a whole and may perform worse than the market. Foreign securities are subject to additional risks such as currency fluctuations, regional economic and political conditions, differences in accounting methods, and other unique risks compared to investing in securities of U.S. issuers. Bonds are subject to risks including interest rate, credit, and inflation. A sustainable investment strategy which incorporates environmental, social and governance criteria may result in lower or higher returns than an investment strategy that does not include such criteria.
The Green Century Funds are distributed by UMB Distribution Services, LLC., 235 W Galena Street, Milwaukee, WI 53212.