The Green Century Funds
Green Century has been a leader in environmentally and socially responsible investing for more than 25 years.
Through our three-pronged approach, we offer investors the opportunity to make an impact in a way no other mutual fund family can:
- Investments in sustainable companies
- An award-winning shareholder advocacy program
- Our support of environmental non-profits
The investment strategy of the Green Century Funds includes:
- Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Performance Ratings. Green Century chooses companies with the highest ESG ratings in their sector. Investing using ESG ratings has been shown to reduce risk and offer financial advantages.
- Value-Based Screens. To offer investors a way to invest with their values, our funds avoid dangerous and harmful industries such as fossil fuels, tobacco, producers of GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms), and nuclear energy.
- Fossil Fuel Free. Green Century is the first family of diversified and responsible fossil fuel free mutual funds. We also list our screens excluding coal, oil, and gas exploration, extraction, refining, processing and transportation, and fossil fuel-burning utility companies in our prospectus (PDF) .
- Controversy Exclusions. We also use ESG controversy ratings to avoid companies that have current or projected reputational risks or are not following international norms and principles.
The Green Century Funds
The Green Century MSCI International Index Fund
The Green Century MSCI International Index Fund invests in the stocks of foreign companies in developed markets that comprise a customized, fossil fuel free index. The passively managed Fund offers an international diversification opportunity.
The Green Century Equity Fund
The passively managed Green Century Equity Fund invests in the stocks of U.S. companies that comprise the longest-running sustainability index, the MSCI KLD 400 Social ex Fossil Fuels Index, customized to screen out fossil fuel companies.
The Green Century Balanced Fund
The actively managed Green Century Balanced Fund invests predominantly in solution-oriented U.S. companies and green and sustainable bonds, including those that finance climate mitigation projects worldwide.
Questions about the Green Century Funds?
You should carefully consider the Funds' investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses before investing. To obtain a Prospectus that contains this and other information about the Funds, please click here for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-934-7336. Please read the Prospectus carefully before investing.
Stocks will fluctuate in response to factors that may affect a single company, industry, sector, country, region or the market as a whole and may perform worse than the market. Foreign securities are subject to additional risks such as currency fluctuations, regional economic and political conditions, differences in accounting methods, and other unique risks compared to investing in securities of U.S. issuers. Bonds are subject to risks including interest rate, credit, and inflation. The Funds’ environmental criteria limit the investments available to the Funds compared to mutual funds that do not use environmental criteria. A sustainable investment strategy which incorporates environmental, social and governance criteria may result in lower or higher returns than an investment strategy that does not include such criteria.
The MSCI KLD 400 Social ex Fossil Fuels Index (the KLD400 ex Fossil Fuels Index) is a custom index calculated by MSCI Inc. The KLD400 ex Fossil Fuels Index is comprised of the common stocks of the approximately 400 companies in the MSCI KLD 400 Social Index (The KLD400 Index), minus the stocks of the companies that explore for, process, refine, or distribute coal, oil or gas or produce or transmit electricity derived from fossil fuels or transmit natural gas that are included in the KLD400 Index. The KLD400 Index is a free float-adjusted market capitalization index designed to provide exposure to U.S. companies that have positive Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) characteristics and consists of 400 companies selected from the MSCI USA Investable Market Index. It is not possible to invest directly in an index.
Neither the Green Century MSCI International Index Fund nor the Green Century Equity Fund (each a “Fund” and together the “Funds”) is sponsored, endorsed, or promoted by MSCI, its affiliates, information providers or any other third party involved in, or related to, compiling, computing or creating the MSCI indices (the “MSCI Parties”), and the MSCI Parties bear no liability with respect to a Fund or any index on which a Fund is based. The MSCI Parties are not sponsors of either of the Funds and are not affiliated with the Funds in any way. The Statement of Additional Information contains a more detailed description of the limited relationship the MSCI Parties have with Green Century Capital Management and the Funds.
The Green Century Funds are distributed by UMB Distribution Services, LLC., 235 W Galena Street, Milwaukee, WI 53212