View a selection of our most noteworthy mentions within the media:
- Few of the top 50 food companies disclose Scope 3 emissions
New Hope Network – September 13
Few of the 50 largest food companies track their Scope 3 emissions, yet disproportionately contribute to total indirect emissions, reveals the Food Emissions 50 Company Benchmark, of which Green Century has signed on as a founding investor partner.
- 5 Things to Know About ESG Investing Today
Investing News Network – August 30
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich breaks down ESG criteria and approaches to green investing in this Investing News Network guide.
- Can investors save the Amazon?
BBC – August 25
In this in-depth examination of deforestation financing, Green Century is prominently featured for having successfully engaged companies throughout the palm oil supply chain to adopt zero-deforestation commitments.
- Ceres report shows ‘stunning’ lack of Scope 3 action by Costco, McDonalds, others
GreenBiz – August 10
Green Century signs on as one of the founding investor partners to the Food Emissions 50 Benchmark, an assessment of the 50 largest food companies and an important step towards reducing the food sector’s greenhouse gas emissions.
- UN climate report increases urgency for green investment funds
Reuters – August 10
President Leslie Samuelrich warns investors that confusion between high-impact ESG funds and greenwashed ones will increase as interest in ESG grows.
- ANALYSIS: Deforestation Shareholder Proposal Wins Signal a Shift
Bloomberg Law – August 9
Bloomberg Law cites record-breaking vote on Green Century’s shareholder proposal with Bunge Limited as evidence of increasing interest in deforestation-related risks.
- Ceres Launches New Effort to Slash Emissions and Improve Transparency Across the Food Sector, Sets Out Benchmark
Yahoo Finance – July 29
Green Century is the first investment advisory firm to join an initiative to push 50 of the highest-emitting food companies to reduce the full scope of their greenhouse gas emissions.
- Target’s climate pledge reveals its bet that convenience and bulk buying can still be Earth-smart
MarketWatch – June 22
Target announces plastic reduction goal in response to Green Century advocacy.
- These are the world’s largest banks that are increasing and decreasing their fossil fuel financing
EnerCom – June 18
President Leslie Samuelrich discusses the importance of eliminating fossil fuel financing to addressing the industry’s material risks.
- The 20 top female portfolio managers in the US
Citywire – June 3
Green Century Balanced Fund Portfolio Manager Cheryl Smith named one of the top female fund managers in the U.S.
- Daily ESG Briefing: Plastics resolution at Amazon AGM gets 35% support
Responsible Investor – June 3
Green Century-led plastics resolution with Amazon – earning 35% of shareholder support – leads in Responsible Investor’s roundup of ESG developments.
- Amazon rejects plastics plan as groups urge reduced virgin plastic use
Plastics News – June 1
The first shareholder resolution with Amazon, and other plastic pollution reduction proposals by Green Century, are highlighted in this industry news publication.
- A majority vote on strong deforestation and climate policy at Bloomin' Brands continues the rush of success for climate proposals in 2021 proxy season
MarketScreener – May 20
Sustainability nonprofit Ceres marks the 76% vote on Green Century’s shareholder proposal with Bloomin’ Brands as a sign of investors' growing concern with mitigating climate risk across their portfolios.
- Why This Proxy Season Is A Record Breaker For Climate Proposals
Forbes – May 14
A record-breaking vote by Bunge Limited shareholders on a Green Century proposal is featured in Forbes’ recap of the season’s annual shareholder meetings.
- P&G faces ‘investor risk alert’ over alleged links to deforestation and forced labour
Responsible Investor – May 13
Proctor & Gamble is lagging behind on its deforestation commitments, despite shareholders’ overwhelming support of a Green Century-led resolution urging the company to eliminate deforestation from its supply chains.
- Hints of Sea Change in Big Fund Company ESG Proxy Votes
Morningstar – May 12
Morningstar highlights votes on Green Century-led proposals with Procter & Gamble and Bunge Limited among ESG shareholder resolutions that earned record support.
- 98% of Bunge shareholders back proposal to reduce deforestation
Mongabay – May 12
In this in-depth examination, President Leslie Samuelrich discusses the record-breaking vote on a Green Century proposal presented at Bunge’s annual meeting.
- World Changing Ideas Awards 2021: Impact Investing Finalists and Honorable Mentions
Fast Company – May 4
Fast Company honors Green Century in its 2021 World Changing Ideas Awards.
- These are the world’s largest banks that are increasing and decreasing their fossil fuel financing
CNBC Make It – April 22
President Leslie Samuelrich comments on how banks can reduce their material risks and curb climate change by reducing investments in fossil fuel industry.
- Facebook meets 100% renewable energy goal with over 6 GW of wind, solar
Utility Dive – April 15
Tech companies can help meet 100% clean energy goal.
- JPMorgan Chase expanding deforestation policies under shareholder pressure
Mongabay – April 13
An in-depth look at Green Century’s successful engagement with JP Morgan Chase by Mongabay, a conservation and environmental science news platform.
- Is Your Portfolio Fighting or Fueling Deforestation?
Morningstar – April 12
Green Century’s work to protect forests, including engagements with JP Morgan Chase and Procter & Gamble, is prominently highlighted in this examination of investor action on deforestation.
- Southern Vows to Hit Carbon Goal Early; Environmentalists Scoff
Bloomberg – April 6
Green Century expresses concern about the details of Southern Company's announcement to cut its greenhouse gas emissions.
- The SEC’s Fund Proxy Voting Disclosure Isn’t Helping ESG Investors
Barron's – March 30
President Leslie Samuelrich discusses the need for proxy voting data to be more accessible to all investors.
- As Coal Market Shrinks, CSX Pledges Transparency on Climate Lobbying
TriplePundit – March 25
CSX Corporation (CSX) agrees to report on any of its lobbying activities, and those of its trade associations, that contradict the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement, precipitating a withdrawal of Green Century's shareholder resolution.
- Big Banks Make a Dangerous Bet on the World’s Growing Demand for Food
Inside Climate News – March 7
Green Century Shareholder Advocate Jessye Waxman comments on the need to include deforestation in any effort to address the climate crisis in this in-depth examination of the failure of banks and asset managers to adequately mitigate agriculture and deforestation risks.
- Investing based on your principles
Fidelity – February 18
Fidelity identifies the “clean energy” Green Century Balanced Fund as sustainable investing option focused on environmental impact.
- Show us the plan: Investors push companies to come clean on climate
Reuters – February 24
In this look at climate-related shareholder engagements, Communications Director Kyle W. Kempf expresses the hope that BlackRock’s nascent support for Green Century’s deforestation resolution with P&G is a sign of things to come from the world’s largest investor.
- Coca-Cola agrees to reduce virgin plastics use
Plastics in Packaging – February 10
A brief look at Green Century’s successful engagement with The Coca-Cola Company.
- Retailers could face more investor scrutiny amid Biden climate policy agenda
S&P Global – February 2
Shareholder Advocate Andrea Ranger asserts that Green Century expects to see short- and medium-term progress, even as companies make ambitious long-term environmental commitments.
- The Top Supply Chain Stories in 2020
Supply Chain Digest – January 26
Green Century’s shareholder proposal, pushing P&G to eliminate deforestation in its supply chain, is included in this compendium.
- Barron’s Top-Performing Sustainable Funds
Barron’s – January 22
The Green Century Equity Fund is included in this annual ranking of big-cap equity mutual funds.
- Fighting deforestation should be a top priority for 2021, and here’s how it can be
GreenBiz – January 11
Green Century’s shareholder advocacy is featured prominently in this look at the importance of ending deforestation.
Like what you are reading?
Stay up to date with our newsletter.
°Green Century Capital Management, Inc. (Green Century) is the investment advisor to the Green Century Funds (the Funds).
Please note that by following any of the links above, you will be leaving the GreenCentury.com website. Neither Green Century Capital Management nor the Green Century Funds nor UMB Distribution Services, LLC is responsible for the content on other websites.
The views expressed in the articles are those of the author(s) at the time the articles were written. They do not necessarily reflect the views of the Funds, their Advisor, or their Distributor. These views may not be relied upon as investment advice.
Click here to see the current holdings of the Green Century Funds. Portfolio composition will change due to ongoing management of the Funds. References to specific securities or sectors should not be construed as recommendations by the Funds, their Advisor, or their Distributor.
You should carefully consider the Funds' investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses before investing. To obtain a Prospectus that contains this and other information about the Funds, please click here for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-934-7336. Please read the Prospectus carefully before investing.
Stocks will fluctuate in response to factors that may affect a single company, industry, sector, country, region or the market as a whole and may perform worse than the market. Foreign securities are subject to additional risks such as currency fluctuations, regional economic and political conditions, differences in accounting methods, and other unique risks compared to investing in securities of U.S. issuers. Bonds are subject to risks including interest rate, credit, and inflation. A sustainable investment strategy which incorporates environmental, social and governance criteria may result in lower or higher returns than an investment strategy that does not include such criteria.
The Green Century Funds are distributed by UMB Distribution Services, LLC., 235 W Galena Street, Milwaukee, WI 53212.