View a selection of our most noteworthy mentions within the media:
- Show us the plan: Investors push companies to come clean on climate
Reuters – February 24
In this look at climate-related shareholder engagements, Communications Director Kyle W. Kempf expresses the hope that BlackRock’s nascent support for Green Century’s deforestation resolution with P&G is a sign of things to come from the world’s largest investor.
- Coca-Cola agrees to reduce virgin plastics use
Plastics in Packaging – February 10
A brief look at Green Century’s successful engagement with The Coca-Cola Company.
- Retailers could face more investor scrutiny amid Biden climate policy agenda
S&P Global – February 2
Shareholder Advocate Andrea Ranger asserts that Green Century expects to see short- and medium-term progress, even as companies make ambitious long-term environmental commitments.
- The Top Supply Chain Stories in 2020
Supply Chain Digest – January 26
Green Century’s shareholder proposal, pushing P&G to eliminate deforestation in its supply chain, is included in this compendium.
- Barron’s Top-Performing Sustainable Funds
Barron’s – January 22
The Green Century Equity Fund is included in this annual ranking of big-cap equity mutual funds.
- Fighting deforestation should be a top priority for 2021, and here’s how it can be
GreenBiz – January 11
Green Century’s shareholder advocacy is featured prominently in this look at the importance of ending deforestation.
- How the pandemic impacted rainforests in 2020 a year in review
Mongabay – December 28
Conservation and environmental science news platform, Mongabay, includes Green Century’s shareholder advocacy work to end deforestation in corporate supply chains in its comprehensive annual rainforest review.
- Daily ESG Briefing
Responsible Investor – December 22
The shareholder resolutions filed, by a Green Century led group of institutional investors, at ADM and Bunge over concerns about their contributions to deforestation and native vegetation clearance in Latin America, particularly Brazil, is highlighted in this roundup of ESG developments aimed at institutional investors around the world.
- Investors pressure Procter & Gamble over its forestry policy
ComunicaRSE – December 22
The first Spanish-speaking media outlet specializing in corporate social responsibility (CSR) and sustainability highlights the overwhelming support Green Century’s deforestation shareholder proposal received at P&G’s annual meeting.
- Environment suffering cuts with attention focused on virus
The Chronicle Journal – December 13
Columnist cites Green Century’s skepticism about Exxon’s commitment to making meaningful progress on climate change.
- Banking and Investing for Change
Green America – December 7
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich expresses opposition to SEC and Department of Labor efforts to undermine ESG investing and shareholder rights in this sustainable investing overview.
- Why investor Green Century has taken an active interest in fighting deforestation
GreenBiz – December 2
An in-depth interview about Green Century’s work to end deforestation with Shareholder Advocate Jessye Waxman.
- Does Indonesia's job creation law miss the mark on environment?
Devex – November 25
A media outlet for the global development community highlights the investor coalition, led by Green Century and representing more than $4.1 trillion in AUM, opposed to Indonesian legislation that threatens the country’s tropical forests.
- Daily ESG Briefing
Responsible Investor – November 19
Green Century’s commendation of Aramark for its progress on its no-deforestation commitment is included in this compendium of responsible-investing news.
- Tyson Aims to Cut Deforestation Risk in Supply Chain
Wall Street Journal – November 12
Green Century Shareholder Advocate Jessye Waxman argues that the forest protection plan announced by Tyson does not meet investor expectations or eliminate the company’s exposure to deforestation.
- Indonesia’s omnibus law a ‘major problem’ for environmental protection
Mongabay – November 4
An in-depth look at the Green Century-led investor coalition opposing legislation that threatens Indonesia’s tropical forests by Mongabay, a conservation and environmental science news platform.
- Is a second revolution in corporate accountability on environmental issues on its way?
Feed Navigator – October 26
A media outlet focused on the global animal feed industry highlights Green Century’s shareholder advocacy work to eliminate deforestation from corporate supply chains.
- P&G shareholders vote in landslide to address supply-chain deforestation
Mongabay – October 26
Conservation and environmental science news platform, Mongabay, examines Green Century’s shareholder proposal with Procter & Gamble.
- Environmental Decency Makes Money
Forbes – October 19
A column, arguing that brands need to commit to sustainability, highlights the overwhelming support for Green Century’s shareholder proposal with Procter & Gamble.
- Fears that dope paper provides deforestation: Oil Fund disagrees with Procter & Gamble
E24 – October 15
Norwegian business publication highlights Green Century’s shareholder proposal with P&G, noting that the Norwegian Petroleum Fund, which owns approximately 1% of P&G, voted in favor of the resolution.
- Surprising investor rebellion at Procter & Gamble over toilet paper’s forest impact
MarketWatch – October 15
A survey of some of the forces that helped Green Century’s shareholder proposal, calling on Procter & Gamble to address deforestation in its supply chain, garner the support of 67% of the votes cast at the company’s annual meeting.
- P&G learns climate rebuke is no longer glacial
Reuters – October 15
Jennifer Saba, a Reuters Breakingviews columnist, argues that Procter & Gamble should listen to the message sent by the strong support for Green Century’s deforestation resolution.
- Investor rebellion at Procter & Gamble over environmental concerns
Financial Times – October 14
An in-depth look at Green Century’s deforestation shareholder proposal and the overwhelming support (67% of the votes cast) it received at P&G’s annual meeting.
- P&G Holders Rebuke Board With Vote for Deforestation Report
Bloomberg – October 13
Shareholder Advocate Jessye Waxman argues that Procter & Gamble’s leadership should heed the clear call shareholders sent with their supermajority support of Green Century’s deforestation proposal.
- P&G shareholders approve environmental measure
Cincinnati Inquirer – October 13
P&G leadership comments on the tremendous support for Green Century’s deforestation shareholder resolution in their hometown newspaper.
- After years of protests, P&G shareholders defy board on environmental proposal
Cincinnati Business Courier – October 13
An overview of Green Century’s shareholder proposal, calling on Procter & Gamble to address deforestation in its supply chain, and the emphatic support for it by P&G shareholders.
- Sustainable funds offer downside protection, investors say
Reuters – October 13
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich argues that the use of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) data is a way to potentially mitigate risk in your portfolio.
- The 100 Most Sustainably Managed Companies in the World
The Wall Street Journal – October 12
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich argues that investor expectations help improve corporate sustainability.
- Indonesia’s Parliament Approves Jobs Bill, Despite Labor and Environmental Fears
The New York Times – October 5
A coalition letter, spearheaded by Green Century and signed by 36 global investors, with more than $4.1 trillion in AUM, opposing a bill that threatens Indonesia’s tropical forests is highlighted.
- Indonesia: Thousands protest against ‘omnibus law’ on jobs
BBC – October 5
A global investor coalition letter, marshalled by Green Century, is featured.
- BlackRock voted against climate resolutions over 80% of the time in 2020
Citywire – October 1
Citywire, a publication for financial advisors, wealth managers, and fund selectors, favorably compares Green Century’s action on the climate crisis to other Funds.
- Green destination, no road map
POLITICO – September 29
Green Century’s work to ensure that big banks are held accountable for their environmental promises is included in a broad corporate sustainability roundup.
- How Big Fund Families Voted on Climate Change: 2020 Edition
Morningstar – September 28
Green Century’s support for shareholder resolutions aimed at tackling climate change is favorably compared to largest fund families and Green Century’s proposal with Bloomin Brands is highlighted.
- A ‘Net-Zero’ Portfolio Is a Pipe Dream. Here’s What Investors Can Do Instead to Fight Climate Change.
MarketWatch – September 22
President Leslie Samuelrich discusses Green Century’s extensive shareholder engagements aimed at convincing corporations to reduce their greenhouse-gas emissions and source more renewable energy.
- Procter & Gamble faces green shareholder proposal for ‘lagging’ behind no-deforestation commitments
Responsible Investor – September 4
A look at Green Century’s upcoming shareholder resolution with Procter & Gamble regarding the inadequate approach to deforestation in its supply chain.
- Amazon's emissions increase 15% in 2019 amid efforts to reduce carbon footprint
S&P Global Market Intelligence – August 5
Green Century Shareholder Advocate Andrea Ranger comments on Amazon's ambitious climate goals and urges the company to be transparent about the concrete steps it is taking to become carbon neutral by 2040.
- Will COVID-19 Make Meat Look Like a Bad Investment?
Civil Eats – July 29
Green Century's shareholder advocacy work to promote plant-based protein, including its 2019 protein-diversification shareholder proposal with Kraft Heinz, is highlighted.
- ESG Leaders Video: Green Century Capital Management's Leslie Samuelrich
Responsible Investor – June 23
A video interview with Leslie Samuelrich, president of "Green Century Capital Management, a true leader in the ESG space."
- Activist mutual fund to push Bloomin' on deforestation measures
Tampa Bay Business Journal – May 29
A report on the Green Century Shareholder proposal, calling for the mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions and the adoption of a no-deforestation policy, being considered at the Bloomin' Brands annual meeting.
- Major ESG investment funds outperforming S&P 500 during COVID-19
S&P Global Market Intelligence – April 13
The Green Century Equity Fund was one of several ESG funds outperforming the S&P 500 in the year through market close April 9.
- Sustainable Funds Weather the First Quarter Better Than Conventional Funds
Morningstar – April 3
The Green Century MSCI International Index Fund was one of “the top-performing passive international ESG funds” in the first quarter of 2020.
- Preventing the Next Pandemic May Start With Supply Chains
Bloomberg – April 1
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich discusses the link between deforestation and the emergence of infectious diseases, like Covid-19.
- Sustainable Equity Funds continue to hold up in bear market
Medium – March 13
Morningstar’s Global Head of Sustainable Investing Research finds some ESG index funds, including the Green Century MSCI International Index Fund, outperforming conventional index funds.
- Grist 50
Grist – March 10
Green Century Director of Communications Kyle W. Kempf is profiled in this annual list of “emerging leaders cooking up the boldest, most innovative solutions to save” the planet.
- Have you checked the energy sector’s market returns lately?
Boston Globe – March 9
In a letter to the editor, Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich refutes Jeff Jacoby’s column, The shallow symbolism of fossil fuel divestment, and points out that he failed to consider the economic benefits of fossil fuel free investing.
- Funds That Prosper From Fighting Climate Change
Kiplinger – March 6
A profile of the Green Century Balanced Fund and its “very green pedigree” and performance.
- Editorial A stronger environmental stance is needed from asset managers
Boston Business Journal – February 26
Green Century’s recognition that the economy and environment are connected is favorably compared to large asset managers, such as BlackRock.
- Investors Drop Demands after Tyson Foods Commits to No Deforestation
Mongabay – February 20
An in-depth look at Green Century’s successful shareholder engagement with Tyson Foods, which committed to develop and implement a no-deforestation policy.
- Investors Have a Fiduciary Responsibility to Combat the Climate Crisis
GreenMoney Journal – February 3
Green Century Shareholder Advocate Jessye Waxman argues that institutional investors must consider long-term climate risks as fundamentally material and act accordingly in this op-ed.
- 13 ESG Investing Trends to Watch for in 2020
Barron’s – January 30
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich decries the SEC attack on shareholder rights in this outlook.
- Mutual Funds That Rank High on Sustainability Are Outperforming the Market
Barron's – January 17
The Green Century Equity Fund is included in a list of mutual funds outperforming the market and Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich comments on the proliferation of mutual funds that purport to be sustainable.
- Larry Fink Defends BlackRock’s New Emphasis on Climate Change. What Investors Need to Know
Barron's – January 17
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich comments on BlackRock’s new public pledge to place greater emphasis on climate considerations.
- For Business, Climate Change Has Become Real
The Wall Street Journal – December 17
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich explains how the climate crisis has changed investing and shareholder advocacy.
- Plant-Based Mutual Funds? Financial Firms Make Eco-Friendly And Humane Investments A Possibility
Forbes – December 9
Green Century’s screens for unethical companies and shareholder advocacy work to improve corporate animal welfare practices, promote pollinators, and more are highlighted.
Investment News – December 4
A short video exploring the “powerful force” of shareholder advocacy, featuring Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich and Shareholder Advocate Jessye Waxman.
- Sustainable Investing: The Enduring Revolution
GreenMoney Journal – December 4
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich outlines her predictions for environmental, social, and governance (ESG) investing in 2020 in this op-ed.
- Critics say KKR’s ‘responsible investment’ stance is being clouded by its stake in a controversial tear-gas maker
Marketwatch – November 25
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich comments on the proliferation of firms with a disconnect between their investments and their marketing rhetoric about sustainability.
- Sustainable Funds Set to See a ‘Tsunami’ of New Capital
Barron's – November 20
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich explains the importance of shareholder resolutions and the threat they face by recently proposed SEC rules that would undermine investor rights.
- Sustainable Investors Face Squeeze as Larger Firms Move In
Reuters – November 19
Green Century’s continued growth is mentioned in this look at large firms’ efforts to enter the sustainable investment field.
- ESG Funds Enjoy Record Inflows, Still Back Big Oil and Gas
The Wall Street Journal – November 11
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich comments on the incongruity of funds that purport to be sustainable but invest in the most environmentally-reckless companies on the planet.
- National expert to speak at MSU on socially responsible investing
Bozeman Daily Chronicle – October 1
Montana State University employees want more socially responsible investment options and invited Green Century Capital Management President Leslie Samuelrich to give a public talk on the options.
- When Mac & Cheese and Ketchup Don’t Mix: The Kraft Heinz Merger Falters
The New York Times – September 24
Green Century’s protein-diversification shareholder proposal with Kraft Heinz is referenced in this in-depth look at the company.
- Kraft asked to speak up on alternative protein plans
Seeking Alpha – September 12
Green Century’s protein-diversification shareholder proposal with Kraft Heinz is highlighted ahead of the proxy vote at the company’s annual general meeting.
- Where's the fake beef? Not at Kraft Heinz, investors worry
Reuters – September 12
An analysis of Kraft Heinz and its sluggish response to the mushrooming plant-based protein market and Green Century’s protein-diversification shareholder proposal with the company.
- Kraft Heinz facing investor pressure to beef up alternative protein plans
S&P Global Market Intelligence – September 6
A thorough look at Green Century’s protein-diversification shareholder proposal with Kraft Heinz and the state of the plant-based protein market.
- Kraft Heinz facing “protein diversification” shareholder resolution from SRI firm Green Century
Responsible Investor – August 20
An in-depth look at Green Century’s shareholder proposal with Kraft Heinz, regarding its failure to adopt a long-term strategy to diversify its protein products.
- Environmental group drops criticism of General Mills
Minneapolis Star Tribune – August 15
An overview of Green Century’s multiyear engagement with General Mills, which acknowledged that pesticides are a problem in food supplies and committed to reducing their use in its supply chain.
- ESG Frontiers: Meat: An Industry Whose Impacts are Vast
Responsible Investor – July 26
Green Century Communications Director Kyle W. Kempf discusses the risks posed to the meat industry by antibiotic misuse in this article on the ESG impacts of the meat sector and the rise of the alternative protein industry.
- End the Futile Engagement with the Oil and Gas Industry and Divest
Responsible Investor – June 10
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich details the fossil fuel industry’s complicity in the climate crisis in this op-ed.
- Heating Up: Investors’ Green Targets Go Beyond Oil Patch
AP News – May 15
Green Century’s successful push to convince Royal Caribbean Cruises, the second largest cruise company in the world, to improve its food waste management is highlighted.
- Kroger to Create and Adopt a No-deforestation Policy
Treehugger – May 9
An in-depth overview of Green Century’s successful engagement with Kroger, which agreed to develop and implement a no-deforestation policy for its private label products, is provided.
- Morning Agriculture: A Daily Briefing on Agriculture and Food Policy
Politico – May 8
Green Century’s successful engagement with grocery-giant Kroger, which agreed to develop and implement a no-deforestation policy, is featured in this agriculture and food roundup.
- Climate-Change Funds Try to Profit From a Warming World
The New York Times – April 12
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich discusses the growing demand for mutual funds that address climate change and climate risk.
- The S&P 500 Gets an ESG Makeover – But It May Not Go Far Enough
Barron’s – April 11
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich is unimpressed by the proliferation of new ESG ‘lite’ funds.
- Why ESG Investors Are So Far Avoiding Uber and Lyft
Triple Pundit – April 2
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich discusses the potential for ride-hailing companies to help or hurt efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and address global climate change.
- After Long-Fought Investor Battle, Darden Phases Out Antibiotics in Chicken Supply Chain
Triple Pundit – April 1
An overview of Green Century’s multi-year effort to convince Darden Restaurants, the largest casual dining operator in the U.S., to reduce the use of medically important antibiotics in its supply chain is discussed.
- What You Need To Know About The Growing Demand For ESG Investments
Sub-Advised Funds Forum – March 20
Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich is interviewed about the growing demand for impact investing and advises investors to do their research to ensure their ESG investments actually are sustainable.
- Investor Engagement Prompts Aramark To Adopt No Deforestation Policy
Seeking Alpha – February 1
An account of Green Century’s successful shareholder engagement with food-service provider Aramark, which led to its commitment to implement a No Deforestation, No Peat, No Exploitation (NDPE) policy throughout its global supply chain by 2025.
- RI ESG Briefing, Jan. 31
Responsible Investor – January 31
Green Century’s collaboration with Aramark on the development of a robust no-deforestation policy that it will implement across its entire global supply chain by 2025, is highlighted in this roundup of ESG developments aimed at institutional investors around the world.
- When Stock Markets Turned Turbulent, ESG Funds Punched Above Their Weight
MarketWatch – January 29
The Green Century Equity Fund is included in a select list of funds whose returns for the turbulent fourth quarter ranked among the top 10% of their equity investing peers, based on Morningstar peer ratings.
- Shutdown Makes It Harder for Boards to Quash Shareholder Votes
Bloomberg – January 26
Green Century’s shareholder proposal with Domino’s Pizza Inc., regarding the misuse of medically-important antibiotics in its beef and pork supply chain, is highlighted in this piece about how the government shutdown affected shareholder advocacy.
- How Long Does It Take to Forgive a Company
Barron's – January 4
Green Century’s stricter investment standards and its fossil fuel free and other exclusionary screens are highlighted in this piece about corporate atonement for bad behavior.
- Investors Push Food Companies to Act Aggressively on Deforestation
S&P Global Market Intelligence – December 10
The shareholder resolution Green Century filed and, after receiving a commitment from the company that it would expand its no-deforestation policy, withdrew with Bunge is highlighted in this piece on investor-led efforts to end tropical deforestation.
- Plant-Based Investing, for the Good of Animals
Green America – November
Green Century’s successful shareholder advocacy engagement with Tyson Foods, which led to it investing in Beyond Meat and starting a VC fund supporting the development of alternative-protein options, is highlighted in an article about plant-based investing.
- The Top 10 Socially Conscious Funds
Bloomberg – November 30
Bloomberg recognized the Green Century Equity Fund as one of the top socially conscious mutual funds in the U.S., based on performance.
- Why Investors Are Backing Away from Deforestation
Brink – October 11
A joint op-ed by Green Century President Leslie Samuelrich and Maria Lettini, director of the FAIRR Initiative, outlining developments with investor efforts to end tropical deforestation.
- The Bank Where Greens Put Their Greenbacks
E&E News – September 28
A mention of the exponential growth of the investment in the Green Century Funds.
- Nearly One-Third of General Mills Shareholders Seek More Accounting on Pesticides in Supply Chain
Minneapolis Star Tribune – September 27
A feature on the strong shareholder support for Green Century’s resolution urging General Mills to eliminate pesticide use from its supply chain.
- Chicken Droppings and Airplanes, There's a Connection
The New York Times – September 23
Green Century’s successful effort to convince Bunge to eliminate legal deforestation from its supply chain was highlighted in this whimsically-titled piece on corporate environmental initiatives.
- Tech, Clean Energy Drove Top ESG Funds In 2017
Bloomberg – March 14
The Green Century Equity Fund was again featured in Bloomberg’s performance-driven ratings of responsible mutual funds.
- More Funds Spurn Nuclear Arms, Financing Still Strong-Report
Reuters – March 7
Green Century is highlighted as one of the few financial institutions globally that has completely avoided involvement with nuclear weapon producing companies.
- Investors Want To Talk Food Waste With Amazon
The Wall Street Journal – March 1
Green Century’s shareholder advocacy efforts were highlighted in a story on reducing retail food waste, linked to unnecessary resource use and climate change.
- Corporate ‘Speech’ Is Drowning Out Citizen Activists
Pittsburgh Post Gazette – November 12
Green Century’s President, Leslie Samuelrich, speaks out against the CHOICE Act, which threatens the future of shareholder advocacy.
- Funds That Can Put Your Investments On A Low-Carbon Diet
The New York Times – October 13
Green Century’s President, Leslie Samuelrich, highlights the Green Century Funds’ unique non-profit ownership and fossil fuel free investing strategy amid a growing pool of options for investors looking for low-carbon funds.
- Sustainability Ratings Tell Half The Story
Barron’s – October 7
Read about how investment strategy is only part of sustainability for a Fund.
- Aiming To Do Good, Not Just Well
The New York Times – July 14
Green Century’s President, Leslie Samuelrich, describes the Green Century Funds’ unique ownership and commitment to fossil fuel free investing in the growing field of funds aiming to do good while doing well.
- Ten Funds With A Conscience
Bloomberg – July 10
Green Century’s Equity Fund's strong performance earns it a spot among the top ten responsible mutual funds, according to Bloomberg.
- Beyond Meatless Mondays: 5 Ways To Get More Plant-Based Food On American Plates
Civil Eats – June 19
The impact of Green Century’s shareholder advocacy to create a more sustainable agricultural system, including more plant-based proteins, is highlighted in this article.
- Q&A: Sustainable Investing At Green Century Funds
AgFunderNews – June 9
Green Century’s President, Leslie Samuelrich, discusses the firm’s approach to sustainable and impact investing.
- The Best Way To Resist Trump Ditching Paris? Divest From Fossil Fuels
The Guardian – June 3
350.org’s Jamie Henn makes a renewed case for fossil fuel divestment and reinvestment as an effective strategy for tackling climate change in the face of rollbacks under the Trump administration.
- Shareholders’ Rights Under Attack: Resolutions Could Be Limited To Billionaires
The Huffington Post – April 27
Shareholders’ rights to file resolutions with companies are threatened by legislation in Congress. Green Century joins other investors in opposing this policy change.
- Investor Group Targets Green Supply Chain For Archer-Daniels, Bunge, McDonald’s And Wal-Mart Stores
Seeking Alpha – March 8
Green Century and 38 other investors representing $617.5 billion in assets are asking companies to consider the material financial risks associated with deforestation in Latin America.
- Investors Representing $600 Billion Urge Solutions For Latin America’s Deforestation
Triple Pundit – March 3
Green Century organized 38 investors representing $617.5 billion to engage some of the world’s largest food companies to ramp up efforts to curb deforestation in South America.
- Power Grab — A Toss-Up For Activist Shareholders And Company Boards
Forbes – January 25
Green Century’s shareholder advocacy efforts regarding our work with companies to limit the misuse of antibiotics in animal agriculture is highlighted in this piece about the important role investors can play in creating long-term value.
- New Reporting Guidelines Aiming To Shed Further Light On Palm Oil Industry
Sustainable Brands – January 24
Green Century worked in collaboration with Ceres and other investor groups to develop reporting guidance to standardize and improve disclosures for the cultivation and production of palm oil, the most widely-used vegetable oil in the world.
- New Guidance Pushes Transparency, Collaboration To Scrub Forest Loss From Palm Oil Supply Chains
Ecosystem Marketplace – January 24
In collaboration with other stakeholders, Green Century helped develop reporting guidance for the sustainable sourcing of palm oil.
- Top US Investors And Companies Unite To Promote Low Carbon Future Ahead Of Trump Inauguration
Responsible Investor – January 10
Green Century, other investors, and companies are committed to promoting a more low-carbon, sustainable economy and world.
- Jack In The Box Puts Limitation On Antibiotic Use In Poultry Purchases
San Diego Business Journal – December 22
Learn more about our shareholder advocacy efforts with Jack in the Box, owner of Jack in the Box and Qdoba Mexican Eats, to limit antibiotic misuse in the poultry supply chain.
- 5 Developments That Will Convince You There Is Still Hope For Climate Progress
Matador Network – December 19
In a time of political uncertainty, there are plenty of avenues to make a difference, including our three fossil fuel free mutual funds.
- Paul Hodgson: A Changing Of The Guard As Big Firms Acquire ESG Pioneers?
Responsible Investor – November 23
As larger firms acquire smaller sustainable investing firms, Green Century and other socially, responsible, and impact (SRI) investing pioneers reaffirm our commitment to independence and the promotion of our investors’ principles.
- RI ESG Briefing, October 19: GES, Impax, Investor Forum, ISO, ShareAction, Trillium
Responsible Investor – October 19
At the Procter and Gamble (P&G) Annual General Meeting, Green Century called on the consumer goods company to disclose its political affiliations and spending through trade associations on the local, state, and federal level.
- International Food Leaders Race To Go Beyond Meat
Forbes – October 19
Through our shareholder advocacy efforts, Green Century successfully withdrew its shareholder proposal from Tyson Foods, the largest meat producer in the U.S., after the company announced its investment in alternative, plant-based protein producer, Beyond Meat.
- The Future Of Food: Can Environmentally Focused Activist Shareholders Transform Animal-Based Agriculture?
Salon – October 17
Learn how Green Century’s shareholder advocacy influenced the largest meat producer in the U.S. to adopt plant-based protein.
- Sustainable Food System Could Be Worth $2.3 Trillion
Bloomberg – October 17
Shareholder advocacy at Green Century is working with companies to better measure and manage food waste to help mitigate climate change and end hunger and poverty.
- Darden Restaurants Facing Investor Pressure To Eliminate Antibiotics From Supply Chain
MarketWatch – October 17
Learn more about Green Century’s shareholder proposal at Darden Restaurants, Inc., owner of major chains including Olive Garden and Longhorn Steakhouse to ensure that the company’s meat supply chain is free of non-therapeutic antibiotics.
- Darden Won’t Adopt Tougher Policy On Meats Just Yet – But The Fight’s Not Over
Orlando Business Journal – September 29
As part of our efforts to phase out the non-therapeutic use of antibiotics in animal agriculture, Green Century filed a shareholder proposal at Darden Restaurants, Inc., owner of major chains including Olive Garden and Longhorn Steakhouse.
- Tyson Foods Needs To Grasp The Nettle On Plant-Based Protein
Just Foods – September 1
Investors urge industry leader to offer more sustainable plant-based options.
- Orlando Shooting Puts Focus On SRI Funds
Wealth Management – June 13
President Leslie Samuelrich comments on the role of socially responsible investments and firearm screens in the wake of the Orlando tragedy.
- EXECUTIVE PERSPECTIVE: Align Investments To Your Principles
Thomson Reuters – February 2
President Leslie Samuelrich’s opinion piece that includes reflections from ESG pioneer and Green Century Funds Trustee Peter Kinder.
- Investing To Do Good
USA Today – June 13
Read how impact investors integrate their values into their investment choices.
- Divestment Push Has More Small Investors Wanting Fossil-Free Portfolios
InsideClimate News – February 13
President Leslie Samuelrich shares stories about how individual investors have driven the firm’s growth.
- The Best Performing Funds Of 2014: Green Century Equity Fund
Environmental Finance – February 5
Learn how going fossil fuel free helped the Green Century Equity Fund’s performance.
- A New Study Urges Leaving Fossil Fuels In The Ground. How Will It Affect Business?
The Guardian – January 8
President Leslie Samuelrich explains how investors may be able to reduce financial risk by divesting from fossil fuel companies.
- Environmental Investing: The Most Influential Investors, p.16
Journal of Environmental Investing 5, no. 2 (2014) – January 1
Senior Vice President Kristina Curtis recounts Green Century’s founding by environmental groups.
- How Mankind Blew the Fight Against Climate Change
The Washington Post – June 9
Author and 350.org founder Bill McKibben outlines the shortcomings of shareholder engagement with fossil fuel companies.
- Companies Call For Tougher Sustainability Standards For Palm Oil
The Guardian – June 1
Green Century calls for stricter criteria in designating sustainable palm oil.
- Chevron Called To Carpet For Trying To Buy Local Election
Triple Pundit – May 21
After Chevron spent $3M to lose an election, Green Century moved to press the company to curtail its political spending.
- PepsiCo Shareholders Urge Company To Act On Bee Supply Chain Concerns
Supply Management – May 20
Green Century pressures PepsiCo to save bee population.
- As ADM Aims To End Deforestation In Its Supply Chain, Will Soy Become The Next Palm Oil?
The Guardian – May 6
Green Century advocates for agricultural commodities companies to incorporate sustainability practices in their soy supply chains.
- ADM Bows To Shareholder Pressure, Commits To New Deforestation Policy
Triple Pundit – April 1
An inside look at why ADM agreed to Green Century’s no-deforestation request.
- ADM Commits To No-Deforestation Policy For Soybeans, Palm Oil
Bloomberg – March 31
Green Century pressures agricultural giant ADM to make first commitment of its kind to source soy from only sustainable companies.
- Group Calls On Chevron To Stop Spending Money on Politics
Patch – February 13
Green Century’s Erin Gray explains how political spending can create business risks.
- Partners In Advocacy: Green Century Capital Management
First Affirmative Financial Network, LLC, Interview with Leslie Samuelrich – January 26
Learn how being owned by environmental groups drives Green Century to make an impact.
- Oil, Natural Gas Drillers Lag In Disclosing Risks
Bloomberg – December 11
- Pepsi Curbs Fuel Consumption, Avoids CO2 Emissions
Environmental Leader – November 3
- ConAgra’s Palm Oil Commitment: Saving Forests And Reducing Greenhouse Gases
The Guardian – August 22
- How Tracing The Oil In Your Pop-Tarts May Help Save Rain Forests
National Public Radio (NPR) – February 21
- Kellogg To Stop Buying Deforested Palm Oil Amid Pressure
Bloomberg – February 14
- Tyson Foods Tells Pig Farmers To Adopt More Humane Practices
Triple Pundit – January 24
- Financial Planning Fossil Free Fuel Investing
Daily Worth – December 23
- 2014: Riding A Rocket, Divestment Movement Gains Momentum
InsideClimate News – December 22
- Green Century Funds: A Force for Change
Green Chip Stocks – October 16
- The Morning Risk Report: More Pressure for Climate Change Disclosure
The Wall Street Journal – September 23
- What Oil Companies Do Is Bad For The Climate. But It May Also Be Bad for Investors
Energy Post – May 12
- Eco-Investing For ‘Green’ Returns
CNBC – April 22
- Mass. Emerges As Hub Of Fossil Fuel Divestment Movement
WBUR – March 14
- ‘Go Fossil Free’: Individual Investors Begin To Divest From Fossil Fuel
San Jose Mercury News – March 14
- Fossil-Fuel-Free Mutual Funds Growing In Popularity
WGBH – February 12
- Getting Carbon Out of Your Portfolio
Associated Press – January 24
- Investors To Unilever, General Mills, 38 Other Companies: Adopt Sustainable Palm Oil Policies
Environmental Leader – December 5
- Investors Look To Cleantech For Petroleum-Free Portfolios
Greenbiz – November 13
- Exxon, Range Resources Get An F In Fracking Disclosure, Report Says
Dallas Business Journal – November 11
- Energy Companies Are Not Transparent Enough On Fracking Risks, Study Says
San Antonio Business Journal – November 7
- Shareowners Warn Monsanto, Dow, Kraft And Coke On GMO foods
Greenbiz – October 16
- Greens Ask U.S. Biotech Firms To Sit Out Food-Labeling Vote
Chicago Tribune – October 9
- How To Extract Fossil Fuels From Your Investment Portfolio
CNBC – September 17
- Tyson Foods Shareholders Pressure Company To Eliminate Use Of ‘Cruel’ Pig Gestation Crates
NY Daily News – August 16
- How To Divest Fossil Fuel Investments, And Maybe Impress The Kids
Reuters – August 9
- Kellogg CEO Challenged On Rain Forest Harm By Activist
Bloomberg – August 2
- Shareholders To Vote On Resolution For Avon To ‘Ditch Toxic Cosmetics’
Cosmetic Design – May 2
- Shareowners Pressure Companies On Renewables And Efficiency
Greenbiz – March 1
- Starbucks Will Source Only Sustainable Palm Oil By 2015
Triple Pundit – February 25
- Investors Push Back On Fracking
Motley Fool – February 5
- Deep Green Investing: A Closer Look
Greenbiz – February 3
- Expiration Of Tax Credit Threatens Wind Industry
Green Century’s Senior Vice President, Kristina Curtis, writing in The Houston Chronicle – August 10
- Investor Network Pushes For Safer Chemical Policies
Financial Advisor – August 1
- Green Century Pressures Corporations To Ban Political Contributions
Financial Advisor – July 24
- Shareholders Pursue Sustainability During 2012 Proxy Voting Season
CSRWire – July 10
- Exxon, Chevron Shareholders Call For Fracking Risk Disclosures
Environmental Leader – May 24
- More Boardrooms Targeted For Political Spending
MarketWatch – April 19
- Green Century Holds Fracking Industry Accountable
Green Business Network – April 11
- Investors Tackle Fracking And Water Shortages
Forbes Blogs – June 29
- ExxonMobil Shareholders Ask For Disclosure On Tar Sands Investments
Triple Pundit – May 25
- Shareholders Can Question 'Fracking'
The Philadelphia Inquirer – April 5
- Kodak Agrees To Green Century Request For Political Transparency
Corporate Governance – March 30
- Coke, Del Monte, Kraft, Wal-Mart Get Failing Grades For Using BPA
Environmental Leader – October 21
- Companies Graded On Getting Chemical BPA Out of Cans
USA Today – October 21
- Investor Groups Balk At Oil Companies' Support Of Prop. 23
Los Angeles Times – October 13
- Coal Ash Should Be Better Regulated By EPA, Say Investors
PRNewsWire – September 15
- Western Oil Companies Challenged On Oil Sands Liabilities As Chinese Move In
Triple Pundit – April 14
- Green Century Criticizes FDA
Financial Advisor Magazine – December 1
- Investor Advocates Press Business Groups Over Climate Policy
The New York Times – October 2
- Just Leave, Shareholders Tell Nike...
The Hill – September 29
- BPA: Know The Risks
Financial Advisor Magazine – April 21
- Bad Apples
The Huffington Post – February 15
- Investment Firm Focuses On The Environment
AllBusiness – November 28
Like what you are reading?
Stay up to date with our newsletter.
Green Century E-News Policy
Sign up for more information on Green Century’s efforts to bring about a more sustainable economy.
- Get updates on the Funds’ performance and investments.
- Learn how Green Century is making an impact on the issues you care about.
By signing up, you will receive news about Green Century.
We will not rent, sell, or give away your email address to any third party.
We look forward to sharing our news with you! Thank you for joining the Green Century community.
°Green Century Capital Management, Inc. (Green Century) is the investment advisor to the Green Century Funds (the Funds).
Please note that by following any of the links above, you will be leaving the GreenCentury.com website. Neither Green Century Capital Management nor the Green Century Funds nor UMB Distribution Services, LLC is responsible for the content on other websites.
The views expressed in the articles are those of the author(s) at the time the articles were written. They do not necessarily reflect the views of the Funds, their Advisor, or their Distributor. These views may not be relied upon as investment advice.
Click here to see the current holdings of the Green Century Funds. Portfolio composition will change due to ongoing management of the Funds. References to specific securities or sectors should not be construed as recommendations by the Funds, their Advisor, or their Distributor.
You should carefully consider the Funds' investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses before investing. To obtain a Prospectus that contains this and other information about the Funds, please click here for more information, email email@example.com or call 1-800-934-7336. Please read the Prospectus carefully before investing.
Stocks will fluctuate in response to factors that may affect a single company, industry, sector, country, region or the market as a whole and may perform worse than the market. Foreign securities are subject to additional risks such as currency fluctuations, regional economic and political conditions, differences in accounting methods, and other unique risks compared to investing in securities of U.S. issuers. Bonds are subject to risks including interest rate, credit, and inflation. A sustainable investment strategy which incorporates environmental, social and governance criteria may result in lower or higher returns than an investment strategy that does not include such criteria.
The Green Century Funds are distributed by UMB Distribution Services, LLC., 235 W Galena Street, Milwaukee, WI 53212.