Financial Advisors and Green Century
Are you a financial intermediary looking for environmentally and socially responsible impact investing options?
Green Century° allows you to help your clients make an unparalleled environmental impact while saving for the future.
Our three-pronged approach to ethical investing allows us to deliver impact while seeking competitive returns in ways that mutual funds owned by big banks and Wall Street investment firms can’t.
1. Invests with environmental values: Green Century is proud to be one of the first family of fossil fuel free, environmentally responsible, and diversified mutual funds in the U.S.
Our investment strategy incorporates:
- Values-based exclusionary screens to avoid dangerous and harmful industries including fossil fuels, civilian and military weapons, tobacco, producers of GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms), and nuclear energy;
- Controversy exclusions to identify and avoid corporations that are trending toward damaging reputational risks or are not following international norms and principles; and
- Environmental, social, and governance (ESG). The Green Century Funds invests in companies that meet our high ESG criteria.
- A sustainable investment strategy which incorporates environmental, social and governance criteria may result in lower or higher returns than an investment strategy that does not include such criteria.
2. Leads an effective shareholder advocacy program: Our team of shareholder advocates goes far beyond basic proxy voting to engaging nearly 100 companies a year to improve their environmental practices and policies to deliver impact that inspires your clients.
3. Supports environmental and public health nonprofit organizations: 100% of the profits Green Century earns managing its Funds can be used to support the work of its environmental and public health nonprofit owners, including the 100% Clean Energy and Wildlife Over Waste campaigns. Green Century is the only mutual fund company in the U.S. wholly owned by environmental and public health nonprofit organizations.
Long term, diversified investments
The Green Century MSCI International Index Fund
The Green Century MSCI International Index Fund invests in the stocks of foreign companies in developed markets that comprise a customized, fossil fuel free index. The passively managed Fund offers an international diversification opportunity.
The Green Century Equity Fund
The passively managed Green Century Equity Fund invests in the stocks of US-based companies that comprise the longest-running sustainability index, the MSCI KLD 400 Social Index, customized to screen out fossil fuel companies.
The Green Century Balanced Fund
The Green Century Balanced Fund is an actively managed fund that invests in equities and and bonds, over 60% of which are green or sustainable.1
Why go Fossil Fuel Free?
As the peril posed by global climate change becomes increasingly clear, more and more investors are choosing to stop supporting the corporations that are most to blame for it. While the moral case for divestment is strong, there are also sound financial and strategic reasons to stop investing in fossil fuel companies.
- Divestment helps avoid potential financial risks associated with the fossil fuel industry that may include volatility, performance and stranded assets.
- Divestment changes the fossil fuel industry’s political influence over national policy. If divestment can play a role in toppling apartheid in South Africa, then it can help erode the influence fossil fuel companies have over U.S. policies.
- Divestment allows greater investment in clean and renewable energy. Instead of propping up fossil fuel corporations, investors can help propel clean and renewable energy companies and other firms offering environmentally beneficial products and services.
The no-load Green Century Equity Fund, Green Century MSCI International Index Fund, and Green Century Balanced Fund are easily and conveniently available for purchase through most financial intermediaries and platforms, including Charles Schwab Mutual Fund OneSource®, Fidelity Funds Network, TD Ameritrade, E*Trade, and other mutual fund networks and brokers.
The Funds are also available for purchase directly through Green Century.
If the Green Century Funds are not yet available through your broker, please contact us to establish a Selling Agreement.
Ready to learn more?
Fill out the form below to get started.
°Green Century Capital Management, Inc. (Green Century) is the investment advisor to the Green Century Funds (the Funds).
1As of December 31, 2022, green and sustainable bonds comprised 67.33% of total bonds held in the Green Century Balanced Fund.
You should carefully consider the Funds' investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses before investing. To obtain a Prospectus that contains this and other information about the Funds, please click here for more information, email email@example.com or call 1-800-934-7336. Please read the Prospectus carefully before investing.
Stocks will fluctuate in response to factors that may affect a single company, industry, sector, country, region or the market as a whole and may perform worse than the market. Foreign securities are subject to additional risks such as currency fluctuations, regional economic and political conditions, differences in accounting methods, and other unique risks compared to investing in securities of U.S. issuers. Bonds are subject to risks including interest rate, credit, and inflation. The Funds’ environmental criteria limit the investments available to the Funds compared to mutual funds that do not use environmental criteria. A sustainable investment strategy which incorporates environmental, social and governance criteria may result in lower or higher returns than an investment strategy that does not include such criteria.
The MSCI KLD 400 Social ex Fossil Fuels Index (the KLD400 ex Fossil Fuels Index) is a custom index calculated by MSCI Inc. The KLD400 ex Fossil Fuels Index is comprised of the common stocks of the approximately 400 companies in the MSCI KLD 400 Social Index (The KLD400 Index), minus the stocks of the companies that explore for, process, refine, or distribute coal, oil or gas or produce or transmit electricity derived from fossil fuels or transmit natural gas that are included in the KLD400 Index. The KLD400 Index is a free float-adjusted market capitalization index designed to provide exposure to U.S. companies that have positive Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) characteristics and consists of 400 companies selected from the MSCI USA Investable Market Index. It is not possible to invest directly in an index.
Neither the Green Century MSCI International Index Fund nor the Green Century Equity Fund (each a “Fund” and together the “Funds”) is sponsored, endorsed, or promoted by MSCI, its affiliates, information providers or any other third party involved in, or related to, compiling, computing or creating the MSCI indices (the “MSCI Parties”), and the MSCI Parties bear no liability with respect to a Fund or any index on which a Fund is based. The MSCI Parties are not sponsors of either of the Funds and are not affiliated with the Funds in any way. The Statement of Additional Information contains a more detailed description of the limited relationship the MSCI Parties have with Green Century Capital Management and the Funds.
The Green Century Funds are distributed by UMB Distribution Services, LLC., 235 W Galena Street, Milwaukee, WI 53212