Shareholder Advocacy Internship
Join the Green Century° Team
Green Century is the first family of fossil fuel free mutual funds in the U.S. that are environmentally friendly and diversified.
We offer shareholder advocacy internships to talented and motivated individuals each semester and over the summer.
For more than 30 years, Green Century has been the standard bearer of ethical investing, and because of our unique ownership by non-profits, no other fund can match our environmental and public health impact.
Green Century uses a unique three-pronged approach:
- Invests in sustainable companies: Instead of investing in environmentally reckless companies in the world, the Green Century Funds companies that meet our high environmental, social and governance performance criteria.
- Leads and effective shareholder advocacy program: Our team of shareholder advocates directly presses several nearly 100 companies every year to improve their corporate sustainability practices.
- Supports environmental and public health nonprofit organizations: Green Century is the only mutual fund company in the U.S. wholly owned by environmental and public health nonprofit organizations, and 100% of the profits we earn managing the Green Century Funds can be used to support their critical work.
Working closely with Green Century’s shareholder advocacy team, the shareholder advocacy intern(s) will be responsible for researching how climate change and environmental issues affect a broad range of industry sectors, will help develop the business case for environmentally ethical practices, and will help profile companies that are leaders in clean energy and environmental sustainability. Specific issues may include but are not limited to: renewable energy procurement, greenhouse gas emissions reductions, climate change, deforestation, and cross commodity supply chains, and preventing plastics pollution. Through this experience, intern(s) will be exposed to sustainability challenges in a variety of industries, learn how to benchmark corporate practices, and develop strong research and presentation skills. Intern(s) will also be exposed to the growing field of environmentally and socially responsible investing.
Specific responsibilities of the advocacy internship position may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist shareholder advocacy staff in preparing for corporate environmental campaigns
- Research and analyze areas of environmental risk facing various industries in order to identify those companies most at risk
- Draft compelling, concise business cases for environmentally responsible business practices at specific companies for use in shareholder resolutions and company dialogues
- Assist in the shareholder resolution filing process
- Take comprehensive notes on company calls
- Draft content for press releases
- Grow and update the media database and track media coverage
- Assist Marketing team with social media to enhance Green Century’s role and recognition
- A demonstrated commitment to environmental issues, and an interest in environmentally responsible business practices
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong verbal communication skills
- An ability to work both as past of a team as well as deliver independent projects
The internship position will require 20 hours per week in the spring and fall, and 40 hours per week in the summer. Office hours are 9:00am to 6:00pm Monday through Friday. Intern(s) must complete work within that time frame and on a regular schedule. During the fall and spring semesters, work days are flexible to accommodate student schedules and program needs.
Green Century collaborates with the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC) Internship Program which requires that intern applicants either live in Massachusetts or go to undergraduate or graduate school in Massachusetts. Intern candidates should seek more details at the MassCEC internship website about whether they qualify .Information about compensation is located on the MassCEC website.
Send a cover letter, résumé, and work or writing sample to email@example.com. Specify the position and time frame in the subject line.
Green Century Capital Management is an equal opportunity employer.
°Green Century Capital Management, Inc. (Green Century) is the investment advisor to the Green Century Funds (the Funds).
You should carefully consider the Funds' investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses before investing. To obtain a Prospectus that contains this and other information about the Funds, please click here for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-934-7336. Please read the Prospectus carefully before investing.
Stocks will fluctuate in response to factors that may affect a single company, industry, sector, country, region or the market as a whole and may perform worse than the market. Foreign securities are subject to additional risks such as currency fluctuations, regional economic and political conditions, differences in accounting methods, and other unique risks compared to investing in securities of U.S. issuers. Bonds are subject to risks including interest rate, credit, and inflation. A sustainable investment strategy which incorporates environmental, social and governance criteria may result in lower or higher returns than an investment strategy that does not include such criteria.
The Green Century Funds are distributed by UMB Distribution Services, LLC., 235 W Galena Street, Milwaukee, WI 53212.