Join the Green Century° Team
Green Century Capital Management (Green Century) is the investment advisor of the Green Century Funds, one of the first families of responsible and diversified fossil fuel free mutual funds in the U.S.
For over 30 years, Green Century has been the standard bearer of environmentally responsible investing. Green Century uses a three-pronged approach to deliver impact while seeking competitive returns.
- Invests in companies aligned with environmental values. Instead of investing in environmentally dangerous industries such as coal, oil, gas and tobacco, Green Century Funds avoids these companies so that clients can match their ethics to their investments.
- Leads an award-winning shareholder advocacy program. Our Green Century shareholder advocacy team directly presses global companies to improve their corporate sustainability practices.
- Supports environmental and public health nonprofit organizations. Green Century is wholly owned by environmental and public health nonprofit organizations, and 100% of the profits we earn managing the Green Century Funds can be used to support their critical work.
Green Century is seeking to add a talented person to our shareholder advocacy team in order to expand Green Century’s ability to improve corporate environmental policies.
Green Century’s Shareholder Advocate will bring critical environmental concerns to America’s largest corporations and help develop strategies to ensure that the corporations respond by improving their policies.
The Shareholder Advocate will research a broad range of environmental issues and corporate practices to identify opportunities for change and develop the business case for taking responsible environmental action. The Shareholder Advocate will also help coordinate Green Century’s work with that of other responsible investors as well as with the broader community of environmental advocates, researchers, and policy experts.
The Advocate will bring pressure to bear on targeted corporations by promoting Green Century’s issues and campaigns, working closely with our other shareholder advocates and reporting to the Director of Shareholder Advocacy.
Green Century is seeking a candidate with a demonstrated commitment to the environment, excellent writing skills, exceptional people skills, an appreciation of strategy, a fearless approach to engaging the media, and a proven ability to juggle multiple projects. This position requires exercising discretion and independent judgment in matters of significance and working effectively in both corporate and non-profit settings.
Representative Responsibilities include:
- Assisting in the development and implementation of the annual advocacy plan as well as actions targeting specific environmental concerns and companies
- Communicating and negotiating with corporate representatives through written correspondence, video, and in-person meetings
- Drafting and filing shareholder resolutions
- Attending corporate annual general meetings
- Voting the proxies for companies owned by Green Century and the Funds
- Engaging and representing Green Century in selected shareholder coalition efforts
- Communicating with non-profit organizations to develop and coordinate actions
- Writing and distributing press releases and speaking with members of the press
- Supporting the broader mission of Green Century and our non-profit owners, as needed
We seek applicants who possess a strong commitment to environmental issues and environmentally responsible businesses. The successful candidate will also bring the following skills and attributes to the position: strong verbal, writing, interpersonal, strategic, and analytical skills; energy and commitment to socially responsible investing; a team orientation that balances individual contribution and group effort; and an ability to bring integrity and collegiality to our corporate dialogues. Ability to travel periodically, a college degree and a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience is required.
Boston, MA or Denver, CO
Compensation & Benefits
The starting compensation range is $32,500-$53,000 for 2-10 years of experience and depends on relevant experience, education and location. Candidates on the low end of directly relevant experience should expect to be on the lower end of this range; candidates on the higher end of relevant experience are likely to be on the higher end of this range. Green Century Capital Management offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, 401(k) plan with employer match, commuter benefit program, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
Complete our online application and upload a cover letter and resume here. Please address your cover letter to Annie Sanders, Director of Shareholder Advocacy.
Green Century Capital Management is a part of The Public Interest Network. The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit here to learn more.
Green Century Capital Management is an equal opportunity employer.
°Green Century Capital Management, Inc. (Green Century) is the investment advisor to the Green Century Funds (the Funds).
You should carefully consider the Funds' investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses before investing. To obtain a Prospectus that contains this and other information about the Funds, please click here for more information, email email@example.com or call 1-800-934-7336. Please read the Prospectus carefully before investing.
Stocks will fluctuate in response to factors that may affect a single company, industry, sector, country, region or the market as a whole and may perform worse than the market. Foreign securities are subject to additional risks such as currency fluctuations, regional economic and political conditions, differences in accounting methods, and other unique risks compared to investing in securities of U.S. issuers. Bonds are subject to risks including interest rate, credit, and inflation. A sustainable investment strategy which incorporates environmental, social and governance criteria may result in lower or higher returns than an investment strategy that does not include such criteria.
The Green Century Funds are distributed by UMB Distribution Services, LLC., 235 W Galena Street, Milwaukee, WI 53212.